Saturday, August 18, 2007

a rose by any other name

I love me some Urban Art.

Standard tags bore me; I mean what’s so great about scratching your name all over town? How can you “claim” something that you obviously can’t defend? Plastering your name all over town is like a dog pissing on a fire hydrant. It’s a weak and temporary attempt to exert dominion over other people or things. It reveals the authors insecurity and weakness. Not my thing.

But throwing up a character, symbol, or spontaneous mural is much more creative and has much more of an ancient feel to me. Man has been drawing pictograms of his surroundings for hundreds of thousands of years, and to me Urban Art like this is just the continuation of this eternal human need.

Besides its public art, in a much more Marxist way and I appreciate the simple rebellion of it all. It makes the world like a giant people’s gallery; free to all. Whoo Hoo!

So, yeah you’ll probably be seeing a lot of this kind of stuff being posted here, I just love it.

btw

--I found this little guy on a newspaper box on Market Street in the Castro District in SF.

--=d

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so cool! I'm so glad you started this blog. I always loved the idea of your taking pics of graffiti around the city - especially since it's usually such a temporary art form.

August 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home